In this post we talk about:
Which kind of trademarks can be registered in Morocco
According to the Trademarks Law of Morocco, a trademark means a sign capable of graphic representation which serves to distinguish the goods or services of a natural or legal person. In particular, may constitute such a sign:
- denominations in all forms, such as: words, combinations of words, surnames and geographical names, pseudonyms, letters, numerals, abbreviations;
- figurative signs such as devices, labels, seals, selvedges, reliefs, holograms, logos, synthesized images; shapes, particularly those of a product or its packaging or those that identify a service; arrangements, combinations or shades of color;
- sound signs such as: sounds, musical pieces;
- olfactory marks.
Trademark filing and registration of a trademark in Morocco
The application for registration shall be subject to publication and an opposition may be filed within a period of two months from the date of publication.
After two months from publication and if no opposition has occurred, the brand is registered and a certificate of registration is issued.
Validity and duration of a trademark
The term of duration of the registered mark shall be ten years from the application date and can be renewed indefinitely, each time for ten years.
An owner who has not put his mark to genuine use in connection with the goods or services covered by the registration during an uninterrupted period of five years, without good reason, shall be liable to revocation of his rights.
The following shall be assimilated to use:
- use made with the consent of the owner of the mark;
- use of the mark in a modified form which does not alter its distinctive nature;
- affixing of the mark on goods or packaging, exclusively for export.
According to the Trademark Law of Morocco, the rights under a registered mark may be transferred in whole or in part.
They may be subject, in whole or part, to the granting of an exclusive or non-exclusive license.
Eva Troiani law firm is at your disposal for further information on how to register your trademark in Morocco.