Italy first Country in European Union for PDO PGI TSG
According to the data released in March by ISTAT (http://www.istat.it/it/archivio/183618) and updated to 31 December 2014, Italy confirmed its first place among the countries of the European Union for the number of PDO (protected designations of origin), PGI (protected geographical indications) and TSG (traditional specialties guaranteed), with 269 high quality food product (8 more than in 2013).
PDO PGI TSG. ISTAT noted the following:
- The regions with the higher number of high quality food products are Emilia Romagna and Veneto, while the most awarded sectors are vegetables and cereals, followed by cheese, extra virgin olive oil and meat preparations.
- The PDO AND PGI specialties recognized by the EU are widely spread on the whole territory. Some regions are particularly rich in PDO AND PGI; in Emilia Romagna and Veneto the recognized products are respectively 41 and 36. In the North Italy also stand Lombardy and Piedmont with 31 and 21 specialties, while Liguria and Valle d’Aosta have respectively 3 and 4 awards.
- In the center of Italy the greater number of names is detected in Tuscany and Lazio, both with 26 specialties. In the South of Italy the regions most awarded are Sicily with 29 products and Campania with 22, followed by Calabria and Puglia, respectively with 17 and 16 products.
- The Italian PDO recognized by the EU are 161, the PGI are 106 and the TSG re 2 (mozzarella and pizza napoletana).
- There are 13 areas that have received awards: Fresh meats; Meat preparations; Cheeses; other animal products; Vegetables and cereals; extra virgin olive oils; vinegars other than wine vinegars; bakery products; spices; essential oils; seafood products; salt and pasta.
- Compared to 2013, the animal breeding are reduced by 1%, while the invested area increased by 0,4%
- Unfortunately, the data also show that in 2014 the new inflows of workers are inferior to the outputs compared to the previous year.